KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 16:46:23 UTC 2009

> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > the rt2860sta wireless driver
>
> Aren't there patches for that one already?

There's a hack, because I reported the problem to Orcan and he wrote a
hack. If I hadn't done that there probably wouldn't be; Orcan wasn't
aware of the issue until then.

>  As the driver is Free Software,
> it can be fixed. By the time 2.6.31 gets even to updates-testing, RPM Fusion
> will already have the patches.
>
> And, by the way, Fedora intentionally refuses to support out-of-tree kernel
> drivers, see also the FESCo decision some time ago to ban standalone kmod
> packages in Fedora and the rationale that was given (paraphrasing: we don't
> want kmods as we think out-of-tree kernel modules should not exist). (My
> personal opinion is that Free out-of-tree modules can be supported because
> they can be fixed if they're broken, proprietary ones are a wholely
> different issue though.)

As I said, the particular code isn't the issue. We ship a kernel API. At
present, we consider it fine to break that API in stable releases. This
is not something that would be considered 'stable' in a traditional
definition. The kernel's just an example, we do the same kind of
non-stable updates all over the place. That's the issue I'm trying to
talk about, not just the specific example I happened to mention. Please
don't bog down in specifics.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey