KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Aug 6 23:56:39 UTC 2009

Great thread.

On 08/06/2009 01:59 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> I'm simply pointing out that it's literally impossible to
> satisfy both possible update policies with a single unitary repository.

There was some talk about additional tagging in RPM being available in
Fedora 13, wasn't there?  Perhaps if that could propagate through the
build, repo, and yum tools there would be a way to solve for various
branches.

MythDora is a spin that's worth studying here.  It provides a specific
purpose, is pretty well-tuned to that purpose, and doesn't necessarily
update for every Fedora release.

One can imagine a 'Fedora Solid' spin that pays special attention to QA,
maybe only plans on every-other release, sometimes back-porting
release+1 things that make a huge win, maybe takes longer to compose
than a regular Fedora release.  There was some talk about extending
updates to 18 months, which would make such a spin feasible.

CentOS tends to be crufty, Fedora tends to be broken.  Average users
usually want to be somewhere in the middle.  Having a user-focused SIG
as an additional check on packagers' decisions to update packages could
have quality benefits.

I like the idea that Fedora is whatever there's a SIG for, not just for
avoiding the question, but for the idea that Fedora is a process, not a
product.

-Bill
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/