Fedora 12 Features Proposed for Removal

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 7 06:54:12 UTC 2009

On 08/06/2009 08:50 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> I corrected Peter and Rahul, who did review one of the packages. Both
> were tankful for my corrections and incorporated the suggestions.

That is because they were specific and were things that were in the
guidelines. It takes the personalities out of the equation and puts the
technical issues upfront. Generalizations such as "All X packages are
bad" are obviously not helpful and extrapolating from a few minor things
to claims like that are wrong and doesn't help improve quality but
discourages people from contributing.

If one believes strongly that running autotools from spec files should
be banned but there is no consensus on that, then the only way to change
the status quo on this is to propose a draft to the packaging committee
with a considerable number of specific examples on why this is a
problem. Pointing it out on a review and restoring to calling the
packages bad quality if people don't follow your controversial
recommendation isn't going to scale at all.

Rahul