Fit and Finish, round three: peripherals

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Aug 7 22:52:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 13:42 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 13:34 -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> > On 08/07/2009 12:53 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > a camera, a phone, a usb stick, or whatever gizmos you
> > > have at home...
> >
> > Real plastic and metal plugs only, or bluetooth connections as well?
>
> Bluetooth is definitively in scope.

The scope seems worryingly large, to me, on this one. We could talk
about modems, 3G modems, mice, headsets, webcams, phones running any one
of a dozen different operating systems (all of which behave and are
supported - or not - entirely differently), mp3 players, Wiimotes, drum
kits, steering wheels, video cards (yes, I've got a USB video card
here), or a zillion other completely different things (all my examples
are things I actually have lying around my apartment somewhere). There's
no real unified software layer handling all these cases (well, udev and
hal probably get involved in most of them, but they're nowhere near the
whole stack necessary to actually do anything useful), so I'm not sure
we're going to get much useful focused work done with such a broad
scope.

sorry to sound like Mr. Negative, just thought it was worth raising my
concerns!

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey