UTF-8 specfiles, better upstream tarball commits coming

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Aug 9 20:00:03 UTC 2009

Hello,

I ran a few scripts on the CVS tree and will commit the resulting improvements
in a few days to devel and rebuild changed packages if ACL's allow.  Let me
know if you for some reason don't want your packages touched (affected package
lists below).

1) Convert remaining non-UTF-8 specfiles to UTF-8.  This is a no-brainer.

2) A number of packages are not using the "best" _upstream_ (I'm not
repackaging anything) tarball available that we can use.  Using the best
available one will result in smaller srpm sizes, less downloading from CVS
lookaside cache and upstreams etc.  I'm defining goodness in descending order
as: xz, lzma, bz2, gz, zip, tar; and will compare tarball contents before
making any changes.  Packages whose SourceX URLs are bad are almost certainly
missed in this batch.  There are two scenarios where I'm going to make other
changes besides just change the tarball in order to keep it possible for
packagers to easily keep sharing specfiles between branches:

2a) If the tarball is going to be switched to an lzma one and the package has
an EL-5 branch that seems relatively up to date with the devel branch, I'll
add "BuildRequires: lzma" because while the EL-5 rpmbuild's %setup knows what
to do with lzma tarballs, it doesn't have a dependency on lzma.

2b) If the tarball would be switched to an xz one but the package has
relatively up to date F-10 or EL branches, I'm not going to switch the tarball
or build at all but will add a TODO comment to the specfile noting that such a
tarball would be available, because F-10 and EL rpmbuilds' %setup doesn't grok
xz tarballs.

Packages with non-UTF-8 specfiles:
----------------------------------
doxygen
enscript
fluxbox
fluxconf
GConf2
gnome-vfs2
intltool
irda-utils
jakarta-commons-digester
jlex
joystick
kdbg
lapack
libksba
librsvg2
logjam
mkinitrd
psgml
psutils
rarpd
sip
splint
switchdesk
system-config-kickstart
talk
velocity
werken-xpath
yp-tools

Packages that may have a better upstream tarball available:
(not necessarily all of these will be touched)

abcm2ps
anjuta
archimedes
autoconf