FedoraStudio: the final step

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 23:26:39 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

(If you don't own a multimedia package you can skip this thread)

This is a call for help for adjusting the .desktop files of your
multimedia applications according to the new FedoraStudio feature [1].
For those who missed the news, with F-12 we will have an optional
multimedia-menus package that will subcategorize the Sound&Video menu
in Gnome (Multimedia menu in KDE). This package is currently geared
towards multimedia creation folks, however this target audience may be
expanded in the future to meet the demand.

To place the applications in the proper category, the .desktop files
need to have proper categories listed. Since I am a (co)maintainer of
most audio creation packages in Fedora, I have finished most of the
required work. However there are a few packages left that need to be
addressed.

So please follow the link [2] and check if your multimedia package
meets the criteria for any of the submenus we will have. If you have
any questions, do not hesitate to contact me. I will do a final check
around September 8th, about two weeks before the beta freeze and fix
the remaining .desktop files. Also let me know if you don't want your
package to be touched.

Thanks for your time!

Orcan

PS: Adjusting your .desktop file with this specification will not
change the experience of anyone who doesn't have the multimedia-menus
package installed. Your application will be still in the
Sound&Video/Multimedia desktop menu as long as you have "AudioVideo"
listed as a category in your .desktop file.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraStudio
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraStudio#Outline