Fedora 12 Features Proposed for Removal

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 08:06:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 23:15 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Unlike some people around on this list, these tools' upstreams know how
> to use the autotools (I am active contributor to all of them):
> Use pregenerated files, do not run the autotools while building.

The last time this came up here, I asked:

  Yes, that autotools generated files are distributed in tarballs is a
  clear autotools design decision. But why? Is it:

    a) because the autotools maintainers feel it is unreliable to have
       people building from the tarball to re-run autotools or

    b) because the autotools maintainers feel it is inconvenient to
       require people build from tarballs to have autotools installed

AFAICT (a) is why you advocate (as I used to also) patching the
auto-generated files.

However, perhaps things have moved on and (b) is the only real reason
these days that tarballs contain the auto-generated files?

Chers,
Mark.