Review: Fedora 12 Alpha Release Notes

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 11 08:51:33 UTC 2009

On 08/11/2009 02:12 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 20:38 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wit the Fedora 12 Alpha release coming up shortly, now would be a good
>> time to review the release notes. Make sure the major features are
>> covered, import bugs and workarounds noted etc
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Alpha_release_notes
>>
>> Please edit the wiki directly for any improvements if you can or reply
>> with suggestions. Thanks.
>
> I've added a section on new virt features, but also this:
>
>   Changes to System Defaults
>
>   For security and performance reasons, iptables rules are now longer
>   applied by default to frames forwarded across linux kernel ethernet
>   bridges. See bug #512206 for more details on the rationale behind this
>   change.
>
>   Historically, uids and gids 0-100 are reserved for specific system
>   accounts and allocated via the uidgid file in the setup package. This
>   space has now been exhausted and 0-200 is now reserved. This should
>   not be an issue on most systems because dynamically allocated system
>   accounts are usually allocated downwards from 499. See bug 515779 and
>   bug #511957 for more details.

Thanks.

> I'm not sure this is the right place for this stuff? Also, where do I
> put them to make sure they get into the final F12 release notes?

The two things I ask myself before adding something to the Alpha or Beta
release notes is a) is this feature high impact? b) can it cause
regressions or does it require targeted testing? If either or both of it
is true, then it is worth adding.

We will generally carry over what is added to the alpha/beta one page
release notes to the final one but if you want to do that yourself, do
that in

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Beats

Rahul