F12 to require "i686", but which CPUs do not qualify?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Thu Aug 13 14:30:18 UTC 2009

I've noticed that F12 will require a CPU with "i686" architecture, and
that my Athlon 1.2GHz won't qualify.  I accept that F11 is the last
Fedora release that I'll be able to use.  My concern is that many
present Fedora users will be unpleasantly surprised that a new
installation doesn't work, or at least that they've wasted the
download.

The Release Notes, starting with the F12 Alpha Release Notes, should
tell users about this, and so should the release announcements.  The
difficulty is in telling them what exactly is an "i686" CPU, as that is
defined by GCC and is said to be a moving target (over the years).  I'm
hoping that someone qualified can make the appropriate changes to the
Releases Notes wiki (I don't know what all the requirements are, though
I do know that the Athlon does not support SSE/SSE2).

Is there a simple way for ordinary users to know if their CPU is
expected to work on F12 (as an "i686" according to GCC)?  Is there a
tool to run that doesn't require downloading F12?