Firmware licence question

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 12:50:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 03:51:04PM +0400, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
> I very want see this driver in Fedora:
> http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/dkms-tiacx/
> This is free and even packaged, so no problem there...
> May be except what it dkms? But it have not kernel modules (I known what
> it is not permitted) and built automatically on install phase.

Fedora does not allow stand-alone kernel module packages.  This would need
to be included in the kernel RPM itself.  The best way to get that to happen
is to get the driver into the upstream kernel.

> But it depend on http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/acx111-firmware/ and
> http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/acx100-firmware/ binary firmware
> images.

Unless you can find the actual license for the firmware in question, those
packages don't look acceptable to me.

josh