Orphaning packages

Michel Salim michael.silvanus at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 16:47:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-23 at 14:34 +0400, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)
wrote:
> 23.08.2009 02:13, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> If gwenview is
> > to be split, it has to be built as a subpackage of kdegraphics, but I'm
> > opposed to that too.
> Why? You are like big monolitic packages instead of freedom chouse
> components what you are really need?

There is no need for accusations and heated language, surely. What Kevin
is expressing is a natural expression of the packager's Occam razor:
it's simpler to maintain a package if we keep the binaries as close in
packaging to the way upstream ships it. Unless splitting gives enough
advantage, e.g. separating out plugins for a program that have
additional dependencies.

In case of kdegraphics, apart from for some disk space saving (not that
great, surely in this day and age), can you argue the case for wanting
such split?

Best,

--
Michel Salim