gwenview - Re: Orphaning packages

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 23 18:04:59 UTC 2009

On 08/23/2009 11:31 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:

>> A torrent client requires a display manager and Qt MySQL? Hmm. Something
>> wrong with dependencies, here.  I am sure, we can do better.
>
> It grew a dependency on some newer libraries in kdebase-workspace recently,
> probably some prudent sub-packages are in order.

A quick way to actually check for such dependencies is to switch to
another desktop environment, say Xfce, remove all the KDE packages and
install one of the KDE apps. It usually reveals dependencies which
are rather silly. I have seen kde-settings, background packages and
kdebase pull in odd dependencies on occasions.  k3b, ktorrent, scribus
et all are often used outside KDE.

Rahul