Add Moblin Desktop group to comps

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Aug 24 17:55:56 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Arjan van de Ven<arjan at infradead.org> wrote:

> Moblin and Fedora have rather different objectives. I'd be happy to work
> together on areas of joint interest, but I don't see the OSes as a
> whole converge, rather they will diverge even more than they already
> have.

Do you see that as an inevitable consequence of the general purpose OS
versus single-user mobile/embedded, or is it something where
organizational or technological changes on one or both ends could turn
the course towards divergence?

I see a couple of different possible axes here:

1) Multi-user OS versus single-user mobile/embedded.: A *lot* of the
stuff in the Fedora desktop stack both package wise and code wise is
there to support multiple local users, like ConsoleKit and gdm (and to
an extent PolicyKit), to how networking is setup in NetworkManager,
etc.   Clearly if we were to throw that out a lot of things would be
significantly simpler and likely boot faster, but there's a large
cost.
2) General purpose OS + release set versus targeted OS: Basically, do
you block (or even slow) the release on a bug in say rsync or ocaml
even if those things aren't dependencies of the UI or (any
interesting) apps?
3) Backwards compatibility: The network scripts example you mentioned;
remember that some things do depend on the way things work now, e.g.
the virt-manager networking setup.  There's also the system
administrator training lost.
4) Minor infrastructural: The specbuilder example you gave is
something I think Fedora would be interested in, but how applicable is
it to the project?  (I don't know, I'm asking)

One thing that could answer a lot of my questions is; do you see
Moblin as trending towards self-hosting from a developer perspective,
or do you see it as depending on "Linux distributions" for that role?