gwenview - Re: Orphaning packages

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Aug 24 22:07:48 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> A quick way to actually check for such dependencies is to switch to
> another desktop environment, say Xfce, remove all the KDE packages and
> install one of the KDE apps. It usually reveals dependencies which
> are rather silly. I have seen kde-settings, background packages and
> kdebase pull in odd dependencies on occasions.  k3b, ktorrent, scribus
> et all are often used outside KDE.

It's not like those dependencies bite. ;-) HDD space is cheap. I don't find
it scandalous that ktorrent drags in kdebase-workspace nor that kdebase-
workspace drags in Akonadi (and thus MySQL, which is a hard requirement of
Akonadi) and I'm not sure the current subpackage explosion (FYI, rdieter
split out subpackages to break both the links in the offending chain: in
upcoming updates, ktorrent no longer requires kdebase-workspace, only the
kde-plasma-ktorrent subpackage does, and kdebase-workspace no longer
requires akonadi, only the kdebase-workspace-akonadi subpackage does) are a
step in the right direction (as they mean the default installations of both
ktorrent and kdebase-workspace/Plasma will be missing features). I'd rather
have "unneccessary" dependencies than useful features not installed by
default.

        Kevin Kofler