PolicyKit 0.9 is going away

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 07:46:57 UTC 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 18:45:44 Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 17:35 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > > PolicyKit-KDE is now integral part of kdebase-workspace, it is a KDE
> > > 4.3 feature, we should disable it for now (untill we have new ported
> > > version). Same problem is with PolicyKit-Qt as my quick port breaks
> > > API. I'd like to prepare new PolicyKit-Qt, more powerful that actually
> > > matches PolicyKit Authority DBUS interface. It's quite a bad timing
> > > with switching to new PolicyKit. I'm not sure I'll have releasable
> > > version in time of beta, I'll try it but there's still question with
> > > API compatibility for KDE 4.3. There are no KDE apps utilizing PK-Qt
> > > now so I think it's not problem to do not ship it now. What do you
> > > think?
> >
> > System Settings uses it (well, 1 or 2 modules do). And PolicyKit
> > integration is advertised as a KDE 4.3 feature by upstream and even our
> > feature page. So I think just dropping it is not an option.
> >
> > I'd be willing to maintain PolicyKit 0.9 packages (as compatibility
> > packages (though renaming should not be needed as they already have
> > distinct names), to be used by KDE) for F12. It is my understanding that
> > those will not conflict with PolicyKit 1 and can coexist just fine, if
> > that's not the case, please correct me. So please don't obsolete
> > PolicyKit 0.9!
>
> I have been able to port some 10-12 PolicyKit users from 0.9 to 0.90 in
> a matter of a few days. The KDE sig should really be able to get this
> port done. We really don't want to ship multiple authorization
> databases, that way lies confusion and madness.

I have initial port - it really took two days. It's not finished as I'm not
sure about shipping such big change in KDE, practically our own fork of
PolicyKitQt library. With 0.92 it wasn't even possible to use this library as
it was intended! I can give a shot with 0.94, seems like it's working now and
usable. I'll try to finish it but really I really don't want to ship this
hack/fork. I'd like to have proper PolicyKit 1 support, based on library from
scratch, using DBUS interface (I don't know how to combine C++ with Glib
callbacks, any help?) and offering same API as Glib version. But this is more
KDE 4.4. stuff.

Next time please try to synchronize/coordinate with upstreams you are
targeting ;-) I'd like to help upstream as it comes from Fedora. We're trying
to be more proactive in this area but you know, we're few people right now
(but growing!). Another problem as I've already described is that new Policy
Kit does not run nearly anywhere, even I had to update to Rawhide (btw X
server is really very broken by now).

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>