Some ideas/questions about yum

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 28 12:47:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Florian Festi wrote:

> When we think of a Fedora that has grown another order of magnitude (may be
> 2015) it will become hard to argue against a more centralized solution. Right
> now we are not at the point where the pain of the local repo db does out
> weight the complexity of a web service architecture IMHO.

no - I think it'll be hard to argue why we need 20K pkgs in a single
repository. Or hell, why we need 20K pkgs AT ALL.

> But there is another way to drastically reduce the amount of data that has to
> be transferred: Delta meta data
>
> The repo data bases could be split up into deltas in a similar way as done
> with the delta rpms aka presto. As a result the meta data of each package
> would be downloaded (more or less) exactly once. While this idea is arround
> for a while an implementation is still missing...

1. this is what he asked on yum-devel list. I told him there was the
beginning of an implementation but it was never completed. He made it
clear on yum-devel, at least, he didn't have the time to do any work on
this - just that he wanted to tell us how he felt.

2. you still have to get the original metadata

-sv