Some ideas/questions about yum

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Aug 28 16:48:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 14:57:44 +0430,
  Hedayat Vatnakhah <hedayat at grad.com> wrote:

> Now, some ideas:
> 3. AFAIK, currently yum's primary database file contains information
> about packages, and all of the files in directories such as /usr/bin and
> /usr/lib, so that it can resolve package and file level dependencies.
> Isn't it possible to move file level information outside primary db
> (e.g. to primary_file_deps.db) and translate internal dependencies from
> file level dependencies to package level dependencies when creating
> repositories? (So that provides and requires tables in primary db only
> contain package references rather than file references?). It might be
> even possible to do it for dependencies outside repository; for example
> when creating updates repository, you can introduce fedora repository to
> createrepo, so it can translate all of the file level dependencies of
> updates packages also.

Personally, I think dependencies of file names is a bad idea. I think they
are getting used as a standin for interface names. I think we would be better
off replacing the current set of file name requires with new provides and
dump file name dependencies. However, the last time I brought this up, other
people disagreed, so it's not something that's likely to change in the near
future.