PolicyKit 0.9 is going away

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 22:33:13 UTC 2009

> David Zeuthen wrote:
> > We announced that this would happen long ago. And, FWIW, it was approved
> > long ago by FESCO too.
>
> You (well, whoever from your team was there to talk about the feature)
> promised to FESCo that PolicyKit 0.9 and 1.0 can coexist and that 0.9 can
> stay around if somebody signs up to maintain the compat package. I can dig
> up the log if you don't believe me.
>
> > So, sorry, but we will obsolete the old packages
>
> Obsoleting packages which somebody still wants to maintain is extremely bad
> form. Especially if it's a library which is needed by other packages.

Keeping dead stuff in the distro may be easier for the individual
package maintainers, but the duplication of functionality and the
confusion that is causes is a high price to pay for the distro as a
whole.

> > Indeed. And in this transition period where we've been shipping both set
> > of packages, there has been a lot of confusion. I've witnessed that
> > myself. We just don't want that to happen in a released OS.
>
> The compat lib would only ship on the KDE spin.

It would certainly also ship on the DVD, alongside the polkit1 packages.
And as we've learned, an unfortunate percentage of people prefers the
DVD for whatever reasons.

Anyway, this all seems to be a somewhat moot discussion, trying to nail
us down on a 'promise to keep the old stuff around', when there already
is a patch that can solve the whole dilemma.