Page size pain / localisation / possible F13 feature

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Sat Aug 29 13:25:53 UTC 2009

> I'd guess Japan would too, that's the standard date format there IIRC.

LANG=ja_JP.utf8 date +%x
2009年08月29日

Yeah, there's plenty of YYYY-MM-DD using locales listed in glibc, e.g.
csb_PL de_AT de_BE de_LU en_DK fr_CA hu_HU se_NO si_LK sv_SE ug_CN. But
en_DK is the only English language one where this is default. (I wonder
as an aside whether US Spelling of UK Spelling should be preferred in
this pseudo-locale?)

There are a load of suspicious cases in here though, e.g. de_BE is set
to use YYYY-MM-DD while their French and Dutch speaking fr_BE and nl_BE
counterparts use a DD(./-)MM(./-)YY pattern, which seems rather dubious,
especially as the current CLDR database lists de_BE, nl_BE and fr_BE all
as using as d/MM/yy
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/charts/by_type/calendar-gregorian.pattern.html#date-short

Hard to know when a date format is what someone thinks a locale *should*
use because YYYY-MM-DD is an ISO standard and undeniably the best way to
do it, or when it truly is what people in that locale automatically
without thinking use when, say, scribbling a date of a piece of paper.

C.