F12: NetworkManager-Firefox: Firefox is currently in offline mode and can't browse the Web

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 21:32:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 10:24 +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> [...]
> >> my systems Firefox home pages do ...
> >>
> >> Anyway, following your email (And notes in Bugzilla) I thought I'd try and
> >> use NM properly for my config. However I have a problem, which may be
> >> a bug. I have turned off the Network services and turned on NetworkManger.
> >> I have two main network interfaces eth0 (wired) and eth1 (Wifi), both are
> >> set to be managed by NM and to start at boot. I have also added
> >> NETWORKWAIT=yes in /etc/sysconfig/network.
> >>
> >> When I boot with this the network (eth1 (eth0 is disconnected)) does not
> >> come up at boot. There is a message stating a failure on the line
> >> where it is waiting for the network to come up. When I log in as a
> >> local user the network then comes up ...
> >>
> >> I also note that, before the user is logged in, I cannot start the network
> >> with "service network start" and the WiFi light is off. It looks like
> >> NM has done something like powered down my WiFi chip ?
> >> (Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG IBM Thinkpad R52)
> >>
> >> Another thing, I would need NETWORKWAIT=yes as I have ypbind enabled.
> >> Maybe ypbind should be modified to not start when the network is down and
> >> also added to /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d ?
> >
> > NM has two types of connection: system and user (see
> > http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerConfiguration ).  NM treats ifcfg
> > files as system connections and thus they are available at boot time and
> > before login.  I had assumed that since your connection was working
> > correctly with the 'network' service that it was also a system
> > connection.  What is the result of
> > 'ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*' and what are the contents
> > of /var/log/messages when the device is not correctly connected on
> > bootup?
> >
> > Before logging in, can you also drop to a VT, log in, and run 'nm-tool'
> > for me?
> >
> > THanks,
> > Dan
> >

> Hi Dan,
>
> As far as I am aware my connections are "system" connections. I have configured
> the Network interfaces using the system-config-network tool. When I use the
> "network" service the eth1 wireless network comes up fine at boot. When I use
> NetworkManager the eth1 wireless network does not come up at boot. There is the
> error: "Waiting for network...  [FAILED]"
> If the NetworkManger service is running (eth1 has not come up) and I run
> "service network start" the eth1 interface still does not come up. If
> I stop the NetworkManger service and again run "service network start" then
> the eth1 interface comes up ...
>
> The configuration files are:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files are there:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-Vodaphone
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 is:
> # Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection

^^^^ This is the problem.  "Auto" is not a valid mode.

Dec  1 09:59:05 think NetworkManager:    ifcfg-rh:     error: Invalid mode 'auto' (not 'Ad-Hoc' or 'Managed')

you'll probably be seeing something on the console when running "ifup
eth1" like this:

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

Since all ifup-wireless does is send $MODE to iwconfig, and "auto" is
not a valid mode.

Dan