Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Dec 3 02:12:20 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:
> If you're looking for perfect division, sure - but the reality is this:
>
> 19K items in a single dir and ext3 and nfs and many many other things crap
> themselves returning that list.
>
> If you make 36 subdirs (26+10) performance gets DRAMATICALLY better for
> producing the same list of files.

The problem is, a few of those starting letters still correspond to A LOT of
packages, e.g. p* matches perl-*, python-* and php-* and that's a lot of
stuff (especially Perl and Python). And adding python3-* (and perl6-*, or
are we going to use the rakudo-* namespace there?) won't make it any less.

        Kevin Kofler