F12 updates-testing issue: X flickers and fails to start

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Dec 9 09:12:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Dave Airlie wrote:
>> I'd start with xorg-x11-drv-intel.  Update to the package set that
>> caused the problem, then for the bug report attach the output of
>> 'dmesg', your entire /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, and the output of 'lspci
>> -nv'.  Also indicate your kernel version, the version of
>> xorg-x11-server-Xorg, and the version of xorg-x11-drv-intel.
>
> kernel is probably first up nowadays to blame for GPU bugs.
>
> File bugs against the X drivers generally though is easier for us to
> find them, kernel bug triage can be a long process.

As an update, I tried reproducing this as follows:

1) update kernel to the latest; reboot
2) update everything except 'xorg*' to the latest; reboot
3) update xorg* except xorg-x11-server*; reboot
4) update xorg-x11-server-*; reboot

It's still working, so I'm left wondering what was the issue.

Now gdm login however doesn't show my username and fingerprint login
is no longer an option (this is probably because 'Administration -
Users and Groups' thinks I'm a system user, maybe because my uid is
154).  But that's a different issue.