Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Dec 9 15:32:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:14:10 -0500,
  James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>  So, yeh, if _you_ want to support slower machines ... _you_ will have
> to do the work, you might get help from the community but just ranting
> on f-d-l "Everyone should solve my problems" is unlikely to actually
> help. IMO.

I think the question is more about supporting machines with less memory
and processors that don't support all of the 686 instructions.

I have a couple of old laptops that I use at a gaming convention once a year
that have pentium 90s with 24MB of memory. I have redhat 6.2 on them,
but would have liked to have tried using Fedora on at least one of them.
But I wouldn't be able to use anaconda to do the install and I might need
to build a custom kernel to cut the memory needed down a bit. But I'll probably
just leave them as is and in a few years find some other old hand me down
laptop to replace them.

I also have a couple of low end routers that currently have ddwrt images
on them. When openwrt has 2.6 kernel broadcom support, I plan to switch
over to openwrt. But it would be cool to be able to run a Fedora based
router spin on them if such a thing existed. (Not cool enough for me to do
the development, as I have other things I want done more.)