Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Dec 9 21:49:37 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi> said:
> Yeah, I've done that in some setups but I was talking about purifying the
> _repos_ above; that setting doesn't affect them, e.g. it doesn't make the
> metadata to be downloaded any smaller.  (As said, not that I think it's a big
> general issue at all, but just that I'd personally have nothing against if it
> would be "fixed" nevertheless.)

One way to make this smaller (without any overlap) would be to split the
current two (i386 and x86_64) repos into three: i386-common, i386,
x86_64.  For an i386 system, you use i386 and i386-common, for a
multilib x86_64 system you use x86_64 and i386-common, and for a pure
x86_64 system you use just x86_64.

I don't know if it is worth the trouble though.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>