Request for help maintaining packages while away.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 05:43:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Its dead upstream? Oh dear. I use it quite a bit so probably need to
> look it over then.

I use it too. A lot of people use it.  I poked upstream prior to F11
and the developer responded saying he was getting back to it soon but
I haven't seen much activity.   Up to this point I've tried to at
least tell the Ubuntu maintainer about any patches I add since its not
clear how to submit patches to upstream.

What I'd like to do is get the different distro maintainers together
as a group form a game plan on setting up a new dvcs trunk for the
project and then politely tell the existing upstream we want to move
ahead with his blessing and have him as a contributor.  It's an aging
codebase and it needs to transition to using the newer gvfs stuff
versus the older gnomevfs stuff... at a minimum. I don't want to do
that as a set of downstream patches in Fedora. And until I get back
from the other side of the world I can't commit to being a new
upstream....sadly.  If you want to get that conversation started...you
have my blessing.

-jef