x86-64 on i386 (was Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?)

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Mon Dec 14 12:16:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Of course, this is an extreme case,

It isn't that extreme - pointers can make up a significant component
of data-structures. E.g. any programme that has to store many
instances of small amounts of data, the pointer size can have a big
impact on memory usage. If the data is heavily inter-linked, even
more so.

Whether that's the case for most applications, I do not know however.
It would though be interesting for someone to go measure this,
especially in the aggregate.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul at jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A