x86-64 on i386 (was Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 17:50:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 12:33 +0000, Paul Jakma wrote:

> You're missing the point.
>
> If I put you in front of 2 identical machines, one running 32bit and
> one 64bit software, would you be able to tell which one was which,
> from the interactive performance of common applications? I'd be
> willing to bet that for the vast majority of applications you
> wouldn't be.

That's a silly argument, because it simply relies on the fact that most
uses of computers aren't CPU-bound at all. In the same way I could
probably steal half the RAM from your system and clock the CPU down 50%
(the BOFH's favourite revenue-generating technique!) and from 'the
interactive performance of common applications' you wouldn't be able to
tell the difference. I don't think that _means_ very much, though.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey