Datacenter, git, and cvs

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 03:23:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 19:55 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> I think of it less as a question of /liking/ CVS, and more an admission
> that a global workflow change has real costs for each individual developer.
>
> A "flag day"-style transition is clean and efficient, but often locks
> out developers who are not able to march in lock-step with the
> transition schedule.
>
> I am very pro-git (naturally, being a kernel developer) and want this
> switch, but it nonetheless means my home-written scripts for maintaining
> related project packages (cld, chunkd, tabled) must be updated and
> tested.  Even without local script updates, developers have to learn new
> stuff just to keep functioning at the same level as before.

Because we are not just moving source control backends, but also
changing workflow, a cvs gateway to the git server wouldn't get you very
far, unless it's a pretty hacked up gateway.  If somebody wants to work
on a gateway that's cool, I'm not considering it a blocker to rolling
out the change, once we have a working proof of concept and a solid
migration plan blessed by FESCo.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!