x86-64 on i386 (was Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?)

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 17:10:01 UTC 2009

> I personally think the model used by many Unixes from the 90s makes a lot of
> sense - 32bit userpace by default, 64bit kernel, 64bit for a select few
> applications that actually need the benefits of x86_64 (memory/bit more
> performance), but hey..

Assuming this was the case and somebody decided to install (say) a 64
bit Epiphany then she will end up with two copies of the entire GNOME
stack. That will come with its own storage and network costs, among
other things. Running the 64-bit Epiphany will cause two copies of
shared libraries to be kept in memory. Is this really worth it?

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.