dist-git proof of concept phase 1 complete

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 17:19:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 05:55 -0500, Jon Masters wrote:

> Can you explain the tags a little Jesse?
>
> e.g.
> F-12-split
> F-12-start
>
> I have absolutely no interest in the idea of doing one giant tree btw,
> though I doubt that will ever get serious traction :) Also, on the
> subject of branches, can you include a summary of branches too?

There are two types of tags that exist.  Tags that reflect when CVS
"branches" were made, and tags that reflect the "make tag" action of a
maintainer, presumably as part of a build process.

F-12-split  is a tag that indicates at what point the "F-12" directory
on the CVS server was created, and on the F-12 branch there would be an
'F-12-start' tag as well.  The build tags exist on whichever branch they
were made from.

As for branches, there are 2 kinds of branches.  One kind has the form
of "F-12" or "EL-5" and that reflects the CVS directory in dist-cvs.
These are generated by infrastructure, and it will likely not be
possible to create branches in this form in git by yourself.  The other
kind of branch is private-*  type branches, which were real CVS branches
that allowed developers to work on stuff without messing up HEAD.  We'll
likely continue to allow remote branches of a specific pretext, such as
private- if you wish to work with multiple people on a branch.
Otherwise git allows you infinite number of local branches to do  your
work.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!