packages requiring me to reboot...

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 18:29:25 UTC 2009

Nathanael D. Noblet (nathanael at gnat.ca) said:
> I'm also curious why gdm is still running once I've logged in.

When you start a display manager, you start an X server; the display
manager then draws on this. Then, when you log in, you have to
stat an user session, as the authenticated user (which has a connection
to the X server, so it can know when it goes away.)

You also have to tell the init daemon which process it's supposed to
be tracking, so it can respawn it when it exits.

Having that process be the gdm daemon (which forks and execs both
the X server and the user session) is arguably a lot simpler than
trying to architect it such that the daemon goes away entirely and
init then ends up tracking either the X serve or the user session.

Bill