dist-git proof of concept phase 1 complete

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 18:45:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 13:33 -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> My thinking is that we don't use origin/next or origin/maint either
> and both are common upstream in git and the kernel.
>
> While origin/master is common,

origin/master isn't "common", it's the friggin default.  Every single
git repo I interact with has development happening on origin/master.
It's way more than just "common".

> for our use, 'git push origin devel' (or
> rawhide) makes more sense as it matches the use for other branches,
> git push origin F-12.  There's nothing magical or required about using
> master as the main branch.

If our maintainer has to type that out, i think we've failed the
conversion.  The thought here is that you'd be doing "git push" and
stuff will just happen right.  But /if/ you wanted to do things manually
then it should match just about every other git repo out there, where
the main branch is origin/master

> Whether other users will be more confused by the incongruity of master
> versus devel or that it differs from what they think git may require,
> I don't know.

Yep, it's an opinion thing :/

--
Jesse Keating