dist-git proof of concept phase 1 complete

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 20:35:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:22:35AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 13:16 -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to suggest (again ;) that origin/devel be used.  Either that,
> > or use master as the local dir, e.g. kernel/master.  Having it differ
> > seems like a recipe for unneeded confusion.
> >

> I'm willing to listen to other opinions on this.  Personally I'd really
> rather not change the meaning of origin/master.  "devel" would show up
> as a directory in the "classic" view only to match what CVS did.  I'd
> even be willing to make two directories, one a symlink to the other.
> You'd get kernel/master and you'd also get kernel/devel as a symlink to
> kernel/master

master makes a lot of sense from a git perspective.  devel (or rawhide)
makes sense from what we actually call the code that that branch eventually
makes.  A symlink might alleviate the confusion but it could also add to it.
(For instance, I was operating in the kernel/devel branch but when I want to
git checkout -b devel git gives me a strange error.)

I don't see a clear answer for what's best here, yet. :-(

-Toshio