x86-64 on i386 (was Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?)

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 16 15:13:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:30:11AM +0000, Paul Jakma wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>> And the remaining 0.1% of the work is probably the other 99.9% of the
>>> time. I think you massively underestimate the number of corner cases
>>> present in an utterly untested configuration.
>> My data-point is that I ran an x86-64 kernel on i386 F10 for a few
>> months until I got tired of yum not being able to update kernel
>> packages. The kernel side apparently works fine AFAICT. The .1% is yum.
> "It works for me" is a poor standard of support.

and if running an x86_64 kernel on an i386 install is something we want to 
do then we can make some changes to make that work. But complaining that 
yum doesn't work for something it was never designed to work for is a bit 


"My this camel is not a very fast swimmer."

More information about the fedora-devel-list mailing list