packages requiring me to reboot...

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at tx.rr.com
Thu Dec 17 00:48:54 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory Maxwell" <gmaxwell at gmail.com>
To: "Development discussions related to Fedora"
<fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: packages requiring me to reboot...

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>> you're an experienced user? You're comfortable knowing what does and what
>> does not require a reboot? Then why are you using PK?
>>
>> Disable pk and do the updates directly via yum.
>>
>> Bam - no more requests to reboot.
>
> This is a completely bogus rationale but one I commonly hear on this list.
>
> I, and many other fedora users would be quite *capable* of running our
> systems with any help of a distribution, we could go and fetch from
> source and do all the integration ourselves...

that my friend is the open source concept.  The users test, develop, &
create new ideas
for development.

> ...but we'd actually like to get some work done using our computers
> and don't want to burn our lives away playing master-of-my-own-distro,
> though we're willing to spend some time contributing to a shared
> effort to build a good distribution for many.

then go commercial, you pays your money you get your dues

> In exchange for not having to personally micro-manage things, we're
> willing to tolerate some things being configured in violation of our
> own preferences or aesthetics, or even a few things being outright
> broken, but that doesn't mean that it's not important for it to work
> right.

how much do you pay for Fedora, as I remember I think it is free!!!

> Yes, I'm quite capable of executing some big manual process or
> changing packagekit to behave like I want. But every such action has
> costs, it takes time and effort which usually has to be repeated every
> upgrade. The non-standard configuration carries the risk of triggering
> bugs in other system components, breaking the upgrade process, etc.

as I said go commercial!!

> The gratuitous reboots are harmful to all users.  They diminish a
> significant advantage our systems can have compared to alternatives
> like Microsoft Windows. They discourage the reporting of bugs in
> applications… "System acting weird? Just restart!".  When triggered at
> inconvenient times they can cause significant harm by interrupting
> people's work.

If that is so, then you and them are wasting your time with open source

> Yes— users with more expertise are more likely to complain about this,
> but thats not reason to dismiss the issue. If there were truly a
> disconnect here betweens the needs of the novices and those of the
> expert users you could argue favouring the novices, but that just
> isn't applicable here.

every one contributes.  It's free!!!! that is why you need to be more
tolerant.