(huge) Ruby packaging changes

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Dec 21 23:45:49 UTC 2009

Hi there,

Not that anything is set in stone yet, but I wanted to give you a
heads-up on packaging changes in Ruby that we (the Ruby SIG) are trying
to figure out.

The ultimate goal is to make Fedora the best development platform out
there no matter what it is exactly you target.

Core features of the current plan are:

- Use the alternatives system to point to one stack or the other for the
system default stack (think standalone applications).

- Enable running multiple different versions of the Ruby stack on one
system (e.g. 1.8.5, 1.8.6, 1.9.1 and possibly 1.8.7 and 1.9.2), as these
versions are still pretty current (think Enterprise Linux), pretty
easily maintainable (once we do it right) and very much needed -in
special cases :P

If you're interested in it's developments, which are targeted for Fedora
13, may I invite you to the Ruby SIG mailing list for a more detailed
discussion?

The Ruby SIG mailing list is at: