Opinion on Logo usage?

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Tue Dec 22 04:51:10 UTC 2009

Hey everyone;

I need some advice on how to use the Fedora logo. According to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines it's okay to use change
the typeface of the Fedora text to white if the color backing it is Fedora
blue (under "Never Use the Logo on Similarly-Colored Backgrounds"); Now, if I
wanted put the logo on top of the Constantine wallpaper, the contrast is very
bad, and nearly illegible, since it's very close to Pantone 2935 in many
places.

Would it be a grey area to make the Fedora typeface white in this case? See
[1] for a screenshot of what we are talking about.. What would be the best way
to do this?

The code currently loads the png from /usr/share/pixmaps/fedora-logo-small.png
and generates the "Welcome to" text from MgOpen Modata Bold in the same
Panotone 2935 of the logo typeface. If the logo typeface was made white, it
would constitute keeping a separate image in the Fedora-tour data directory or
adding another image to the fedora-logos package, I'd assume? The former is
not a Good Thing, and the latter would probably take some intervention with
Fedora-legal? I'm not sure of the details, tbh. What are everyone's thoughts?
Any workarounds come to mind?

Background:
This is for Fedora-tour; the idea is to have it, at the option of the spin
teams who choose to use it, have the application start up full screen, with
the background that of the default Fedora wallpaper, and give users the option
to take a tour of Fedora, etc from there. We think that there should be some
sort of Fedora logo being displayed "Welcome to Fedora" or somesuch, which
brings us to using the logo. Unfortunately, the blue backgrounds often
conflict with the blue logo :o

[1] http://rrix.fedorapeople.org/fedora-tour/bad-contrast.png

--
Ryan Rix
Fedora KDE SIG Member, Phoenix AZ Ambassador, News KDE Beat writer

New Mail address: phrkonaleash at gmail.com -> ry at n.rix.si !!
http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#plugaz,#fedora-kde and
      countless other FOSS channels.