dist-git proof of concept phase 2 ready for testing

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Tue Dec 22 15:35:54 UTC 2009

On 12/22/09 2:45 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>> Nobody should be able to create any branches that do not start with
>> "private-".
>
> I really don't see the point of this, why can't we just allow any branch
> name that isn't a reserved name (master or F-[0-9]+)?
>
>> We'll make sure that the buildsystem will not allow any official
>> (non-scratch) builds to happen from a private-* branch.
>
> And as I wrote before, I don't like this at all, it's a regression from our
> current workflow

Define "our". In my personal opinion, Jesse is spot-on, we should NOT
allow official builds from a private branch. That's just insane. Scratch
builds are fine. Official builds need to be from the main branch, or a
common non-private branch (such as the kernel has done for maintaining
both e.g. 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 trees simultaneously for F10). If you get
eaten by raptors, you can't expect another maintainer to come in after
you and have to dig around for a private branch to update a build.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com