sound, amixer and pulseaudio

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 09:17:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

since I installed Fedora 12, I realized that I have no more an "Analog
Loopback" available
in alsa, which allowed me to route the capture sources on my sound card back
in as PCM audio.

I tried upgrading alsa-driver to 1.0.22, but nothing changed. The only
option I have now
is using arecord and aplay to simulate the loopback. Although this scheme
woks fine,
arecord / aplay just die from time to time (kind of randomly), with no
apparent reason.
This is the command I use:

arecord -D hw:0,0,0 -d 0 -f S16_LE -c2 -r128000 | aplay -f S16_LE -c2
-r128000 -D default &

Another question is how to use amixer to control the volume of an
application in a way
that allowed me change the volume of any sound card installed on my system.
Since I
must specify the card using "-c 0", for instance, if I switch the sound to
another card using pulseaudio,
I can no longer control the volume of this new card. Unfortunately, there is
no "-c default" in amixer ...

amixer -q -c 0 set PCM 80%

Would there be a better way of doing that?

Thanks.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ