ABRT considered painful

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 29 21:37:28 UTC 2009

2009/12/29 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>:
> What's wrong with ABRT?
>
> Originally, with stock F-12, I had received a couple of good backtraces in
> bugzilla. Incredibly useful. A wonderful improvement over F-11 and older.
>
> And later? - Recently, in all the backtraces dozens of debuginfo packages
> are missing. :-(

That's been my experience. Starting off, ABRT worked great (except for
the bug where it couldn't submit any bugs), but then it stopped being
able to download debuginfo packages -- no matter how often I hit
"Refresh". Then that went away with an updated version and ABRT worked
well again for a bit, but now it's back to not being able to download
any debuginfo packages, so all traces it generates are useless. I'm
not sure what caused/causes it to go wonky that way.

Unfortunately, if this goes on, I'm afraid it'll pass the "useless
annoyance" barrier and most people will remove it upon install, thus
negating the reason it was created in the first place.

Cheers,
--
McGill University IT Security
Konstantin Ryabitsev