packaging a static library

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Dec 30 20:56:33 UTC 2009

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Let's focus on the important bit: we need a frozen version of a
> library (that, btw, is useful, and is not in Fedora yet :-) ). What's
> the best practice for that? I don't see why we'd need to embed it
> statically anywhere (except OFW of course).

It's just not allowed. Use the system version, audited or not. If you need
frozen, audited software, you need to go back to maintaining your own OLPC
branch of Fedora, just like RHEL branches off Fedora. Working directly with
upstream Fedora means working the upstream Fedora way. Using old components
just because they're audited is not the Fedora way, sorry.

        Kevin Kofler