Build Failure regarding Boost

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Tue Dec 1 18:15:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 18:31 +0100, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> 2009/12/1 Tim Niemueller <tim at niemueller.de>:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I'm trying to build the newest version 3.0.0 of the Player package. It
> > builds just fine on F11/F12, but it fails with an error that
> > "-lboost_thread" cannot be found on rawhide. boost-devel is in the BR,
> > boost-thread is being installed according to root.log.
> >
> > The package uses cmake for building, where I suspect the problem. On my
> > (F-11) machine it links with -lboost_thread-mt). But on rawhide it uses
> > the non-mt version (well, a non-multithreaded threading library is kind
> > of an issue). On my system I have cmake 2.6.3, while rawhide has 2.8.0.
> > Is there a known problem? Does anyone else maintain a project build with
> > cmake and using Boost and can give a hint how to solve?
> aqsis use cmake and boost, but also explicitly tell which boost library to use.
> You may have to adapt the cmake option if they are non-standardized.

Broadly speaking (beyond just Fedora), there's enough variability in the
potential names of Boost libraries that a package's configuration needs
the ability to specify a Boost library suffix.  It sounds like your
package's configuration is trying to be clever and divine the required
suffix--and it's failing and falling back to no suffix.

If your package's configuration won't let you specify a suffix, the most
expedient thing to do may be just to hack it on.  But an upstream-worthy
patch would add a means to specify an arbitrary suffix.  Also, -mt is a
saner default than no suffix at all.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>