Blocking radeonhd (was Re: Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?)

Matěj Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 07:04:57 UTC 2009

Dne 1.12.2009 21:43, Bill Nottingham napsal(a):
> If the e1000 driver is broken in the kernel for some people, we don't support
> shipping an alternate driver. If a new version of the intel graphics driver
> is broken for some people, we don't support shipping a pre-KMS version
> of the driver.
>
> Why would we do differently here?

Because if e1000 is broken, we can be sure with reasonably high level of
certainity, it will be fixed without undue delay. For Xorg drivers
(especially with regards to 3D support) we have hope that it will be
slightly better in the next Fedora release, but complete coverage is
still just a dream.

Moreover, I don't know what's your problem with radeonhd driver in
Fedora. Hanz does IMHO excellent job on maintaining it and it doesn't
drag much additional resources on anybody (except on me, perhaps,
because I triage bugs for him as well, which is the reason that this
time I even a little know what I am talking about ;)). And of course
comparing -radeonhd bugs (http://is.gd/59Hc0) with -ati bugs
(http://is.gd/59Hp0) is unfair, because there are many more users of
-ati driver, but at least it shows that radeonhd is really not burning
issue.

What's the problem?

Matěj

Our lives are spectacles of powerlessness.
     -- Richard Rohr