Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 14:39:30 UTC 2009

The separate updates directory has been a pain for as long as I've been
using RHL/Fedora Core/Fedora. It means you have two places to look when
searching for packages manually, and twice as much to configure when
you're configuring yum. It has never benefitted me, or anybody I know,
but it has caught me out on any number of occasions. What's more, nobody
really seems to know why it's like that: it seems it's always been that
way, and nobody ever bother to fix it.

So lets fix it. The package set at release time is only interesting to
historians. If any of them are really that bothered, I'm sure somebody
can come up with a yum module which finds the oldest available version
of a package in a repo.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490