Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 16:35:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 08:20 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> >> We wouldn't be talking about removing the original GA set - just adding
> >> updated pkgs into the path. So you'd still have the number of pkgs -just
> >> all in one repo, that you have to download all of the metadata for all of
> >> the more often, despite that 15K of them don't CHANGE.
> >
> > I don't think that was actually made clear in the initial proposal. I'd
> > been assuming that the proposal was _exactly_ to remove the GA set.
> > Usually, when a newer package shows up in any given repository, we don't
> > keep the previous version of the package, do we? So I assumed the
> > proposal was expecting that behaviour for the combined repository.
>
> >From a QA standpoint I'd think you'd want at least one known-installable
> set of pkgs. Since everything after the original GA set is a giant
> questionmark.
>
> Not to mention that removing all the old pkgs would more or less make
> deltarpms very difficult.

I'm not saying I support the proposal, I don't, I think it's a waste of
effort for no benefit. I was just clarifying the initial
characterization. Actually I think the initial proposer _was_ expecting
to remove initial packages when updates become available, because they
keep saying stuff like 'only historians are interested in the GA
packages'.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey