F12 updates-testing issue: X flickers and fails to start

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 09:50:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 10:33 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On my laptop, after F12 updates-testing update today, after reboot F
> logo shows but then the screen goes dark and starts flickering between
> various shades of dark (changing modes?) with intel graphics chipset
> (GM965/GL960).  I'm only using 1024x768 resolution. Nomodeset or using
> a previous kernel didn't help.  Booting to runlevel 3 and running
> system-config-display (--reconfig) resulted in the same.
>
> I've worked around the issue by "yum history undo 1" which rolled
> back a couple of hundred packages.
>
> Any idea which package could be the culprit and I should file a bug
> against or to isolate it?  Somehow I don't think this is necessarily
> an Xorg base or driver issue.

I'd start with xorg-x11-drv-intel.  Update to the package set that
caused the problem, then for the bug report attach the output of
'dmesg', your entire /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, and the output of 'lspci
-nv'.  Also indicate your kernel version, the version of
xorg-x11-server-Xorg, and the version of xorg-x11-drv-intel.

Dan