Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Dec 9 14:26:07 UTC 2009

On 12/09/2009 02:05 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 06:51:59 +0100,
>    Ralf Corsepius<rc040203 at freenet.de>  wrote:
>
>> Seems to me, as if some people in Fedora's leadership don't want to
>> understand that being able to deploy Linux on "old" or "recycled"
>> hardware used to be one big selling point in Linux.
>>
> I think the question is really, is Fedora suitable for being deployed
> on older hardware?
In its early days, it was.

>   Currently it isn't (for some value of older).

Ageed, it isn't anymore. As I feel, <sarcasm> "Fedora has followed up
Microsoft the Vista way" </sarcasm>

Those using modern hardware may find this "cool", those who don't,
switch away to using different distros.

> I think if people wanted to try and make this happen, it could happen.

<sigh> It wasn't a lot of work in the early Fedora day - It simply
worked out of the box! </sign>

However, some $DEITY's have decided otherwise ...

I am inclined to think "inevitably, because such platforms aren't the
platforms most developers use nor the platforms "RHEL is aiming at" ...
These people think in terms of "Quad machines" and "RH clients", but
forget about the amount of "old" machines which are still actively being
used and about "use-case niches".

Ralf