What is public/private fork? - Criteria packaging in fedora

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Dec 11 11:11:30 UTC 2009

> On 12/11/2009 03:56 PM, Florian Festi wrote:
> > Without knowing the history:
> >
> > Best solution would be to ask former upstream for permission to continue
> > the project under its original name
>
> That was already denied
>
> https://lists.feep.net:8080/pipermail/libtar/2009-May/000259.html

That's not what the maintainer said. He just doesn't want to give away
the name itself, that is, he doesn't want to relinquish control of the
project even though he doesn't contribute code to it any more.

Frankly, calling a fork of libtar libtar-ng when the upstream says the
library is "pretty awful" is a bit weird.

"If you or someone else wants to apply some patches to the current code
base and cut a new release, I'd be happy to discuss the best way to do
that."

Well, best discuss it then