Help wanted with dist-cvs to git conversion

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Dec 11 13:46:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 11:05 +0100, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> 2009/12/11 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> > For the initial testing, just giving every user a @feodraproject.org
> > domain would be sufficient, however we should have a discussion about
> > whether to use this email address or to use the user's real email
> > address.
>
> Definitely @fedoraproject.org email addresses. A lot of us use them
> even in Bugzilla, all my packages have the fp.o address in %changelog.
> I dont want to fiddle around when i change my "real" email address.
> Just pop in to FAS and change it there, done.

Another consideration in favor of using @fedoraproject.org emails is if
you use real emails, they will be used for old commits, even when that's
not historically accurate.

We went with @src.gnome.org addresses for the GNOME git conversion
because we didn't want, say, 5 years of work someone did at company A
show up as commits from user at companyb.com because that's where they work
now.

- Owen

(We actually did something a little fancier at that - if the log message
for the CVS/SVN commit contained something that looked like a ChangeLog
entry with an obvious email address, then we used that as the Author and
the @src.gnome.org only as the Committer. If we couldn't determine a
plausible Author, then we used the @src.gnome.org address for both.)