x86-64 on i386 (was Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Dec 14 13:23:51 UTC 2009

Le Lun 14 décembre 2009 13:31, Nicolas Mailhot a écrit :

> Le Lun 14 décembre 2009 12:51, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :
>
>> Of course, this is an extreme case, but they also aren't "that rare" in
>> real world cases.
>
> They aren't "that rare" on very specific workloads (numeric computation).
> People in those fields often have large datasets that appreciate lots of
> memory (ours work with GiB-sized datasets at least)

BTW, I didn't claim the overhead didn't exist, just that it was more than
compensated in practice by access to more memory and architecture improvements
in real world use cases (for the people who care about performance, ie people
who are ready to buy a ram stick to win a few percentages in speed tests. If
speed is not worth a ram stick for you given today's ridiculous ram prices you
should not argue in some percentages more or less in processing times)

--
Nicolas Mailhot